Thanksgiving Quotes: 31 Meaningful Sayings To Share Around The Dinner Table
Thanksgiving is a day to reflect and count your blessings, reconnect with friends and relatives, and to try to avoid popping any seams while gorging on traditional turkey day fare. Just like the first Thanksgiving feast, when the First Settlers and Native Americans came together to share a meal, families across the country will join around the dinner table to celebrate what was historically the end of the harvest season.
A few meaningful words can go a long way when entertaining guests on turkey day. Here are 31 Thanksgiving quotes, from presidents, musicians, TV hosts, spiritual leaders and more.
Inspirational Thanksgiving Quotes
1) “There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.” -- O. Henry
2) “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” -- Willie Nelson
3) "Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." --Melody Beattie
4) “Appreciation can change a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.” -- Margaret Cousins
5) "Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action." --W. J. Cameron
6) “Gratitude can transform common days into Thanksgiving, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” -- William Arthur Ward
7) “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” -- W. Clement Stone
8) “Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.” -- Oprah Winfrey
Presidential Thanksgiving Quotes
9) “Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage; We humbly beseech Thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of Thy favor and glad to do Thy will.” -- President Franklin D. Roosevelt
10) “All across America, we gather this week with the people we love to give thanks to God for the blessings in our lives.” -- President George W. Bush
11) “Sharing in God’s blessings is at the heart of Thanksgiving and at the core of the American spirit.” -- President Bill Clinton
12) "We are profoundly grateful for the blessings bestowed upon us: the preservation of our freedom, so dearly bought and so highly prized; our opportunities for human welfare and happiness, so limitless in their scope; our material prosperity, so far surpassing that of earlier years; and our private spiritual blessings, so deeply cherished by all. For these we offer fervent thanks to God." -- President Harry Truman
13) “We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown.” -- Abraham Lincoln
Spiritual Thanksgiving Quotes
14) “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” ~ Harry Ironside
15) Hebrews 12:28-29 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire.
16) “We ought to shout out our thanksgiving as if every war were over; as if there were no more big taxes; as if there were no sickness, no crime.” ~ John R. Rice
17) Psalm 28:7 -The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.
18) "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." -- Albert Schweitzer
19) “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” -- W.T. Purkiser
20) Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with song, And shall magnify Him with thanksgiving.
21) "Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some." -- Charles Dickens
22) 1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
23) “I give thanks to my Creator for this wonderful life where each of us has the opportunity to learn lessons we could not fully comprehend by any other means.” -- Joseph B. Wirthlin
24) 1 Thessalonians 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
25) "God is glorified, not by our groans, but by our thanksgivings.” -- Edwin Percy Whipple
Funny Thanksgiving Quotes
26) “Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare. They are consumed in 12 minutes. Halftimes take 12 minutes. This is not coincidence.” -- Erma Bombeck
27) “An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day.” -- Irv Kupcinet
28) "I approximated the Black Friday experience at home by hurling myself into a wall a number of times and then ordering online." --Kumail Nanjiani
29) "When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup." -- Sam Lefkowitz
30)"If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get." --Frank A. Clark
31)“Thanksgiving, man. Not a good day to be my pants.” -- Kevin James